COMMUNITY OF KINDNESS
As Christians, we are called to love our neighbors as ourselves. Please join Service Team for 7 weeks of kindness challenges as we reach out in love to create and celebrate our communities this Lent.
Each week we will highlight a new kindness challenge; take on the task of meeting each weekly challenge or just the ones that speak to you.
- Week of Ash Wednesday, February 20-26 – Samaritas moves an average of five newly arriving refugee families into apartments each week. Please shower these families with love by donating new or gently used kitchen items including pots and pans, dishes, glasses, new kitchen garbage cans and new kitchen linens. (Hope will deliver all collected items on March 1.)
- February 27-March 5 – Start the month off right with a surprise act of kindness for a neighbor or a friend. Flowers? A meal? Help around the house or in the yard?
- March 6-12 –When grocery or household shopping, buy extra and donate items to Neighborhood House, Active Faith, or the Blessing Box through Hope Lutheran, or to any other food pantry in your area. The most requested items at food pantries include cleaning supplies, full-size toiletry items, paper products, can openers, and diapers.
- March 13-19 – Help support families in temporary housing through Lighthouse and South Oakland Shelter by helping service team assemble welcome kits for adults and children on Sunday morning, March 19, in the welcome center after each service.
- March 20-26 – Donate new socks or underwear to clients of our ministry partners in constant need of these items by bringing them to Hope and placing them on Hope’s Mitten Tree or in the bin in the welcome center.
- Week of Palm: Sunday - March 27-April 2– Reach out to your favorite charity and let them know that you appreciate what they are doing to make the world a better place. Share their important work with others via a social media post or a conversation with a friend or family member. Don’t have a favorite charity? Check out Hope’s highlighted charity this month, Lighthouse (South Oakland Shelter), and the work they are doing supporting families in need: Lighthousemi.org.
- Week of Easter: April 3-9 – Celebrate the new month and Christ’s resurrection by reaching out to someone you have not seen in a while and let them know you miss their presence in your life.